Meet Susan Thrower
- 20+ years advising – students, global businesses, and entrepreneurs.
- 12 years – work experience at colleges, including 4 years in a consulting division at Georgia Institute of Technology.
- 2 years – substitute high school teacher at 14 public and private high schools in Fulton and Gwinnett counties of GA. I’ve worked with the full range of teens, personalities, abilities, and motivations.
- Grateful for the consulting work experience. The rotation of clients felt like I worked for over a hundred firms. This was a valuable experience of gaining insights on a wide range of industries, careers, jobs, business challenges, and solutions.
- Fast forward a few years – It is an honor to help young people find clarity for their career direction. Every day is a process of learning and pushing the envelope to best serve individual client needs.
MS, Marketing, Georgia State University
BA, Art History, St. Catherine University
Highlands Certified Career Consultant
National Career Development Association, Member
Foodie. Runner. Student forever.
Why I Got into This Business
There is a huge need. While substitute teaching I had a dozens of conversations every day with students after their school assignments were completed. I found it was normal for only 1 in 10 high school students to have a clear idea for a career and the ability to also explain “why.”
Around the same time I experienced college planning first hand with our son. If you have gone through this, you know we all become hyper-focused on the college, not the career. I was in a parent group and everyone was talking about aspects of choosing a college. I started giving the parents tips, they asked me to speak on the topic so I scheduled a public presentation at my local library. A the same time I was referred to a website called 80,000 Hours by a very smart student. The website helped me gain clarity on my purpose of advising students on career, so I took off sprinting.
rly in life I found I was resourceful, creative, and hard-working.
I love teachers, reading, and all aspects of schools and a great education. I worked for colleges and completed courses at 8 universities. –The extra schools were through cross registration agreements of colleges, work for a certification, or skills I wanted to improve: sewing, technical writing, and accounting.
I’ve learned “service” is our highest calling. Service multiplies profound relationships and blessings.
As a student career counselor, I care as much as you do that we have strong results to help you land solid on your best career fit and action plan. This will empower you to fully use your natural abilities, to find your potential, serve, and experience a more successful and fulfilling life.
Wife and mother, 1 son attending UGA.
I grew up in Minneapolis and moved to Atlanta for the job at Georgia Tech. I love Atlanta’s trees, Southern hospitality, the warm weather, our local dog park, amazing farmer’s markets, and diverse cultures in this beautiful area.
Personal Passions: Service, family time, education, healthy cooking, gardening, and creative activities.
Goal: I started running last year. This one habit brings so much happiness. I hope to keep running despite all that happens in life.
Our Mission Is to Provide the Very Best Career Testing and Discovery Process for Students Young Adults